INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We collect information about you in three ways: directly from your input, from third-party sources, and through automated technologies.
INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE TO US
The types of personal information that we collect directly from you depends on the content and features of the Service you use and how you otherwise interact with us and may include:
· Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address, phone number and social media handle;
· Account login credentials, such as usernames and passwords, password hints and similar security information;
· Other account registration and profile information, including educational, professional and other background information, such as your field of study, current position, practice area and areas of interests, ORCID ID and job title;
· Content that you upload and share or store in your account, such as annotations, comments, contributions and replies;
· Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number;
· Information that you communicate to us, such as questions or information you send to customer support;
· Data that you provide to us as part of interacting with the Service, such as your favourites and search queries; and/or
· Communications preferences, such as your preferred language and the frequency, type and format of the alerts you sign up to receive.
DATA FROM YOUR INSTITUTION
We may obtain information about you from the institution with which you are employed or affiliated in order to activate and manage your access to and use of the institution’s subscription to the Service, including:
· Contact details, such as your name and institutional email address, postal address and phone number;
· Other account registration information, such as job title; and/or
· Institutional user ID.
DATA FROM OTHER SOURCES
We also may obtain contact details and other information about you from other entities within the Every Author Ltd and from third parties, including:
· Social networks when that you grant permission to the Service to access your data on one or more networks;
· Service providers that help us determine a location in order to customise certain products to your location;
· Partners with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities; and/or
· Publicly-available sources and data suppliers from which we obtain data to validate or supplement the information we hold.
DEVICE AND USAGE DATA
The Service may automatically collect information about how you and your device interact with the Service, such as:
· Computer, device and connection information, such as IP address, browser type and version, operating system and other software installed on your device, unique device identifier and other technical identifiers, error reports and performance data;
· Usage data, such as the features you used, the settings you selected, URL click stream data, including date and time stamp and referring and exit pages, and pages you visited on the Service;
· For educational Services, the course modules and test questions you view, answer or complete; and/or
· For location-aware Services, the physical location of your device.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We are committed to delivering a relevant and useful experience to you. Depending on how you interact with us and the Service, we use your personal information to:
· Provide activate and manage your access to and use of the Service;
· Process and fulfil a request, order, download, subscription or other transaction;
· Offer you customised content and other personalisation to make the Service more efficient for you and more relevant to your interests and geography;
· Enhance and improve the Service, such as add new content and features;
· Notify you about changes, updates and other announcements related to the Service;
· Deliver targeted advertisements, promotional messages, and other information related to the Service and to your interests;
· Provide technical, product and other support and help to keep the Service working, safe and secure; and/or
· Identify usage trends and develop data analysis, including for the purposes of research, audits, reporting and other business operations, such as to pay royalties and license fees to third-party content providers, determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, evaluate our business performance, or in other ways pursuant to a customer agreement.
We may also use your personal information to:
· Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments or concerns;
· Conduct and administer user testing and surveys as well as sweepstakes, competitions and similar promotions;
· Provide you with relevant promotional messages and other information about products, events and services of ours, our third parties such as societies and sponsors;
· Enhance and improve our products, events and services and develop new ones; and/or
· Comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
SHARING OF YOUR INFORMATION
We share your personal information in the following ways and contexts.
We will not sell, share, or rent information collected with our Service to third parties, except as disclosed in this statement. We use personal information and non-personal information for internal purposes, including enhancing your experience with the Service, creating aggregate information about demographics and usage patterns, and enabling purchases of goods and services. We may share personal information with entities controlling, controlled by, or under common control with the Every Author Ltd.
In the event that the Every Author Ltd is merged, or in the event of a transfer of the Service and related assets, we may disclose or transfer your personal information and non-personal information in connection with such transaction to the acquirer of the assets. In certain instances, we may disclose your personal information when we have reason to believe it is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against persons or entities who may be causing injury to you, to the Every Author Ltd or its affiliates, or to others. We may also disclose your personal information when we believe the law or legal process requires such disclosure.
We will not share, sell, or rent your personal information with third parties for their promotional use.
We may also disclose to your institution or other third parties non-personally identifiable information, such as anonymous usage data reports and aggregated information, subject to any applicable legal or contractual obligations.
We may also share your personal information with our sponsors, joint venture partners and other third parties, including entities for which we are acting as an agent, licensee, application host or publisher, such as societies, that wish to send you information about their products and services that may be of interest to you as determined by your choices in managing your communications preferences and other settings.
The Service may let you post and share personal information, comments, messages, materials and other content. Any such information that you disclose publicly or in discussion about the Service may be collected and used by others, may be indexed by search engines, and might not be able to be removed. Please be careful when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
We also will disclose your personal information if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to:
· meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or other legal obligation;
· detect, investigate and help prevent security, fraud or technical issues; and/or
· protect the rights, property or safety of The Every Author Ltd, our users, employees or others;
and as part of a corporate transaction, such as a transfer of assets to or an acquisition by or merger with another company.
YOUR COMMUNICATIONS PREFERENCES
You can customise and manage your communications preferences and other settings when you register with the Service, by updating your account features and preferences, by using the “opt-in/out” or subscribe/unsubscribe mechanisms or other means provided within the communications that you receive from us or by contacting us. We reserve the right to notify you of changes or updates to the Service whenever necessary.
ACCESSING AND UPDATING YOUR INFORMATION
The Service may allow registered users to directly access their account information and make corrections or updates at any time.
Keeping such information up to date is solely the responsibility of the user. Registered users may also close their account directly through the Service or by contacting the Service’s customer support.
You have the right under European and certain other privacy and data protection laws, as may be applicable, to request free of charge:
· Access to and correction and deletion of your personal information;
· Restriction of our processing of your personal information, or to object to our processing; and/or
· Portability of your personal information.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us through the contact address provided below. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable laws. To protect your privacy and security, we may require you to verify your identity.
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide the Service and fulfil the transactions you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, maintaining business and financial records, resolving disputes, maintaining security, detecting and preventing fraud and abuse, and enforcing our agreements.
We take precautions to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and misuse and unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction through the use of appropriate technical and organisational measures.
GROUNDS FOR PROCESSING
When we collect from you any personal information within the scope of European data protection laws, we do so:
· where necessary to provide the Service, fulfil a transaction or otherwise perform a contract with you or at your request prior to entering into a contract;
· where necessary for our compliance with applicable law or other legal obligation;
· where necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest;
· where applicable, with your consent; and/or
· as necessary to operate our business, protect the security of our systems, customers and users, detect or prevent fraud, or fulfil our other legitimate interests as described in the sections above, except where our interests are overridden by your privacy rights.
Where we rely on your consent to process personal information, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time, and where we rely on legitimate interests, you may have the right to object to our processing.